Saturday, January 31, 2015

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin

Book Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Published Date: September 27th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Genre: YA Mystery
Series: Book One in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer trilogy
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.

Disclaimer: This book was a gift.

Review:
Holy, freaking, crap. So. So. So GOOD!

I had no idea what I was getting into with this book. I was sure I was going to love it. Right off the bat, I was hooked. It started with a letter by Mara and then we dove into her life, both before the incident and after the incident. It was a book that kept me guessing all the way through. I never knew what to expect every single page.

Noah, holy crap he was adorable and hot. He was nothing like he was originally portrayed. He was sweet, kind, swoony and he deeply cared about Mara. I was worried that he was going to be an asshole, especially once he found out what she was hiding. I didn't want to stop adoring him, and I hoped that it wouldn't come to that.

Mara's family was great. I loved that she had a close knit family that seemed to actually care about each other and be reasonably normal. So often in YA books we get dysfunctional families and while that's not a big problem for me, it's nice to read about families who have stuck together and whose parents are still married.

There are so many things that I want to talk about, but they are spoilery things and while this book has been out for awhile, I still don't want to talk spoilery things for this book. So this book was awesome and everyone needs to read it. It was a bit slow in some parts, and that's the only reason I'm giving it 4.5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. haha sounds like someone is a fan! This book has such a vague summary that I appreciated hearing more details in your review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.