Thursday, December 18, 2014

Review: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Book Title: Out of the Easy
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Published Date: February 12th, 2013
Publisher: Philomel Books
Genre: YA Historical
Standalone
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.

Disclaimer: Library book.

Review:
Normally I shy away from these books because historical books are not really my thing. However my blogging friend, Bekka pretty much forced this book on me. I trust her opinion, so I decided to give this book a try. This book really surprised me in a lot of ways. I ended up really liking it more than I expected to.

I loved Josie as a main character. She knew what she wanted as well as what she didn't want. She didn't allow herself to fall into the same habits her mother had adopted. Unlike her mother, Josie had dreams that had nothing to do with breaking the law. She wanted to go to college, to make something of herself. She was under a lot of pressure from her mother to put out in order to make a boatload of money.

Josie had many people who were extremely supportive of her desire to not become anything like her mother. From Willie Woodley, the madam on Conti Street, to Charlie and his son Patrick. Even the other girls in the house ran by Willie. Sweety, Evangeline, Sadie. Cokie was also an integral part of the story. 

There was a bit of a love triangle between Josie, Patrick and another boy, called Jesse Thierry. The triangle was resolved exactly the way I was hoping it would be. I was even happier to see an opposite sex friendship in this book. Opposite sex friendships are seen so infrequently in YA, so whenever I do see one, I get excited and happy. It's even more rare to see one in a historical YA book.

I was not expecting the feels with this book, but I was given them with two separate character subplots. I loved Charlie so much, and at times, he stole the book for me. I wish he had gotten a bit more book time, but I loved what I did see in him. I loved his devotion & love towards his son, Patrick. It was really awesome to see.

I have a weird fascination with brothels & prostitutes during this time in history, I honestly don't know where it came from. I am so glad I decided to read this book. I will be giving this book 4 stars and I will read other things that Sepetys' writes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.