Saturday, July 19, 2014

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Book Title: Ten
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Published Date: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Genre: YA Thriller
Standalone
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

Disclaimer: This is a library book.

Review:
Holy crap on a cracker, this book was terrifying. I really need to remember not to read thrillers like this in the middle of the night.  Unless, of course, I don't want to sleep. I wasn't sure what I was getting into with this book. I had heard mixed things about it, but I had had my eye on it for awhile and so I wanted to at least give it a shot. 

I am so glad I gave this book a shot. From the beginning, it's clear that things aren't what they seem. The supposed host is not there, even though this is her parents house and she sent out the invite.

Or did she?

After the DVD with the creepy message is watched, things go from lighthearted fun, to terrifying reality. Teens are being picked off left and right, each of them more disturbingly than the previous one. Before too long, the remaining teens are forced to realize that either there's someone else in the house with them who's killing everyone. Or, and probably more disturbing, the killer is one of them.

This book was filled with twists and turns and I honestly had no idea what was going on. At any one time I had 5+ scenarios running through my head at once. I didn't know what to expect, who to trust, who was behind everything that was going on at the house.

I wanted more character development aside from Minnie and Meg. I didn't feel like I got to know Vivian, Lori, Gunner or any of the others all that well. Really the character development issue is my only complaint. The book was fast paced, which I loved and it totally left me in a state of confusion until the end. I love when books do that.

I am going to give this book 4 stars. If you like YA thrillers, then you should definitely give this one a try. It was a great read and I am excited to read Gretchen McNeil's next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.