Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Review: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Book Title: Dangerous Girls
Author: Abigail Haas
Published Date: July 16th, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Genre: YA Thriller
Standalone
Book Link: Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
It's Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives. But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. 

As Anna sets out to find her friend's killer; she discovers hard truths about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

As she awaits the judge's decree, it becomes clear that everyone around her thinks she is not just guilty, but dangerous. When the truth comes out, it is more shocking than one could ever imagine...

Disclaimer: This was a personal purchase.

Review:
Holy crap.

This book was dark, twisty and totally messed up in all sorts of awesome ways. Yes, this book did remind me of the Natalee Holloway & Amanda Knox cases. However, I was able to put those aside and just focus on how things were unfolding for Anna herself.

Anna was a quiet, shy girl until she met Elise. Then she changed. Elise was a terrible influence on her. It was Elise that coaxed her into drinking, partying and taking drugs. It was Elise who wasn't careful with who she surrounded herself with. Especially when it came to sex. Elise preyed on the fact that Anna's mom was sick. She made it her mission to change Anna. 

Anna wasn't brave enough to put a halt on it.

Elise was conniving and sneaky, all the things that right after Anna is charged with Elise's murder, her so called friends accuse her of being. Suddenly, they are making statements that incriminate Anna. Suddenly, Anna and Elise were always fighting.Suddenly Anna is violent and aggressive. Even Anna's behavior right after Elise's body is discovered is called into question.

It broke my heart that the only people who believed her were her father and her legal team. Melody didn't believe her. AK didn't believe her, Chelsea and her twin brother didn't believe her. Not even Tate, the boy Anna has been dating for several months. Anna is basically abandoned by her friends in the hardest time. I got so angry with them. Why did they not believe Anna? Why was the word of an Aruba detective enough for them to believe Anna had done it?

I never expect feels in thrillers, but this one totally blew me away. I cried, I sympathized. I got angry. I absolutely loved this book. I adore thrillers and after being recently disappointed with a couple of them, I  am so excited to give this one 5 stars. I cannot wait to read whatever the author writes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.