Saturday, February 22, 2014

Review: Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3) by Tahereh Mafi

Book Title: Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Series: Book 3 in Shatter Me trilogy
Book Link: Goodreads
Purchase Links: AmazonBarnes & NobleBook Depository

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew - about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam - was wrong.

Disclaimer: This book was a Valentine's Day present from my mom.

Review:
Now that's how you end a series. Holy moly this book was filled with action and adventure and romance. It held one of my favorite opposite sex friendships of all time. There really needs to be more opposite sex friendships like Juliette and Kenji's. There truly isn't enough of them in the YA world. As much as I loved Kenji in Unravel Me, his comedic timing was impeccable and even more amazing in Ignite Me. He really needs his own series (Make it happen people) 

"Maybe your lady bits are scientifically confused." 

"First Adam. Now Warner. Next week you are going to try to hook up with me."

"Switch spots with me, J. He's making me feel all goose bumpy and shit, like maybe, he's about to knife me."

I mean those are just a sampling of the comedic genius that Kenji is throughout this book. He ended up being one of my favorite parts of the entire series. Tahereh wrote a perfect opposite sex friendship. I am one of those people who totally believes that people of opposite sexes can be just friends. Juliette and Kenji's friendship is a perfect illustration of that.

Juliette has done a ton of changing over these three books. When we met her she was scared and she felt weak. By the time Ignite Me comes around and throughout the book, she is not afraid anymore. She fights for what she wants and what she feels is right.She has friends now which is something she didn't have at the beginning of the trilogy.

Oh Adam, you really pissed me off in this book. I understand his dislike of Warner (even though I don't agree with it) but he needed to stop being a jackass. Even Kenji got annoyed with him which tells you something right there. I truly think Adam wanted Juliette to stay naive and quiet and non-confrontational. He liked being Juliette's protector and savior.

Now Warner treated Juliette with respect and like she was his equal which I loved seeing. All her life Juliette had been shunned and here comes powerful Warner who saw her, not as a frail woman in need of protection, but as an equal.

Oh boy Tahereh knows how to write steamy scenes. Wowee, chapter 55 was hotter than chapter 62 of Unravel Me. I never even though that was possible but damn Tahereh, you surprised me. This author knows how to write dynamite steamy scenes. I only wish I had that talent. I try to write steamy scenes and they turn out horribly. Like I'm trying too hard to force it. But chapter 55 was hot and the chemistry leapt off of the pages.

The only complaint that I could conceivably have is with the ending. It felt just a little bit rushed. I was not bothered by that enough to change my rating of the book. The book was still amazing and it took me through a range of emotions that left me in tears by the end of it. All of the loose ends are tied up which really made me happy as I have read books that ended with some loose strings. So this conclusion to the trilogy will be getting 5 stars.If you haven't read the series, then you need to fix that ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do my best to reply to every comment that is left. This blog is an award free blog. I appreciate the thought, but I do not have the time to follow up.